5 Harmful Ingredients In Your Shampoo
When it comes to washing your hair…what’s your favorite shampoo? Not a trick question. Just like your favorite hairstylist we bet you can’t just name just one favorite shampoo. In this blog we’re discussing the hidden dangers found in your shampoo. Some of them you may know about and others may be a bit challenging to pronounce or remember. Washing your hair is apart of your weekly routine since childhood. We are sure you can remember the scent of your mom’s favorite shampoo soaping up your tresses. And don’t forget the leave in conditioner that gave your hair more moisture.. It’s no secret that washing our hair is one of our favorite things to do. Thus, we want to make sure that we are taking extra good care of our tresses by making informed decisions on products on the market.
By the end of this article, we’ll help you to identify harsh hidden chemicals in your shampoo and some effects that it has on the body. Plus, you’ll be able to find a few alternative choices to your standard shampoo options.
Why shampoo is important ?
As a kid, you probably didn’t understand why after playing in dirt and putting styling gel in your hair daily, you needed a good wash. Just like our bodies our scalps begin to accumulate dirt, bacteria, and etc over time. Sometimes that bacteria can be very harmful to our health and strains. More often than not when you leave your hair unwashed over a certain period of time, you invite little insects to live inside your hair. Totally gross, right?! It’s safe to say out moms were doing us a huge favor after playtime each week. Maintaining a healthy and clean scalp allows the nutrients in hair products to support our good habits. Which then results in new hair growth for a lifetime. Don’t thank us, thank your mom!
How to choose your shampoo!
Have you ever had to run to your local drugstore for shampoo? Yes, we’ve all been down aisle five quite a few times. Whether you’re on a budget or have a preference when it comes to selecting your shampoo. You typically grab and go. You make a split decision for your hair and rush home to wash away that itchy dandruff. No worries, this is a judgment free zone. Although most shampoo guarantee to leave your hair feeling less grimy and itchy, all shampoos are not the same. Each company may boast about their shampoo being the best for your hair. As a consumer we have to make the best decisions for our hair, health, and wallet.
Here are a few tips to selecting the best shampoo:
1. Know your hair type. This is a pretty important one us ladies. Just because your mom has a oily scalp and uses Head and Shoulders. Doesn’t necessarily mean that’s your hair type as well. Study your hair for up to two weeks are more and make a journal of your hair journey. By doing so you will make a informed decision on your hair type.
2. Read the label . We know what you’re thinking…this tip is pretty obvious. True. However, some labels can be a bit confusing and filled with words you may not be familiar. Read the label and ask your local pharmacist for help in making the best decision possible.
3. Cheap vs. High End. Sometimes you only have five bucks and can only afford the cheap brand of shampoo. While we like to use the word affordable, we recommend doing your research. Just because the brand is not high end doesn’t mean the product is not good for your hair. Athough high end has higher and more potent ingriedients, don’t be afraid to DIY the missing ingriedients yourself.
The hidden ingriedents in shampoo
Now it’s time to really get our hands dirty and reveal some ugly truths. Although most companies have their consumers in mind when creating a product. Unfortunately big business may look the other way when it comes to harsh chemicals that can affect your health. Sometimes the small print on the back of the bottle is to hard to read. Or if you trust the brand you believe they have your best interest at heart. Not quite. We believe in the power of being informed and educated. Sometimes that may call for you to pull out your phone and Google a new word. The list below only uncovers five harmful and hidden ingriedents in your shampoo. We highly recommend researching for more chemicals in your shampoo to protect yourself.
1.Synthetic Colors: Have you ever poured a little bit of shampoo into your hair and it came out purple or dark blue? Of course, we have too. Unfortunately this is known as a synthetic coloring in the shampoo. Most shampoos and conditioners are dyed with a synthetic color to make them look nice. These colors come from petroleum or coal-tar sources, all of which come with harmful health effects. Although the liquid may be appeasing to the eyes of the consumers, the shampoo has been altered to be appealing to consumers. When it comes to selling products to the consumers, companies don’t want to turn them off with a dark brown liquid. So they alter the cover to pull the wool over our eyes.
2. Retinyl Palmitate. If this chemical looks familiar to you, it’s because it also known as retinol. Retinol is a vitamin that helps our skin. However, retinol is a potent vitamin that does not need to make direct contact with our skin. Some of the known side effects are redness, irritation, itching, cancer, and your reprodcutive system. Yikes! Why are shampoo companies using this scary chemical? They assume that you are making a informed decision and will only see the good side of the chemicals. The good news is that there are products on the market that don’t contain this chemical. You can use a more natural product that will not be harmful to your hair, skin, or reproductive organs.
1. Triclosan. Have you brushed your teeth yet? You may want to research this chemical before you do. Recently banned in 2016, this harmful chemical can not only be found in your toothpaste, household products, and in your shampoo. Used as an antibacterial, triclosan is more harmful than good. Triclosan has contributed to cancer, fetal development, and neurological disorders. Just because the label has antibacterial on the bottle, doesn’t mean it’s one hundred percent safe. Be mindful of this chemical also appearing in your deodrant too.
4.Cocamidopropyl Betaine. We’ve all seen the natural hair movement progress in `recent years. It’s a beautiful thing to embrace your natural tresses and take care of them with all natural products. However, this sneaky harmful chemical can be found in all natural hair products. Cocamidopropyl Betaine will boost the foam we love so much during our wash. Yet, this chemical does contribute to eczema and allergies. Companies play on recent trends in the market and hide harmful chemicals along the way. Keep your eyes peeled for this one in your natural products search.
5. Alcohol. We’ve all been fair warned about the harsh effects of alcohol on our bodies and in certain products. Let’s break down the reason why, shall we. We know alcohol to be a very bad thing in our beauty products. Alcohol is known for drying out our hair and making it brittle and frizzy. Companies use words like propanol to hide the alchol in the products. However, Some alcohols that are not as bad for dry hair start with a “C” or an “S”, like Cetearyl alcohol and Stearyl acohol. They can actually help your hair retain moisture. Although alchol has its pros and cons, it’s important that we do a little more research before completely ruling it out.
The best shampoos on the market
Now that we have unmasked some of the hidden dangers in some shampoos. It time to help you with our list of top shampoos that will give you the best results and protect your health.
1. SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo. This beauty brand knows a thing or a few about natural products and hair. With natural ingriedents like aloe vera and shea moisture. This product will restore and strengthen your coils to healthy perfection.
2. Aveeno Pure Renewal Shampoo. Known for protecting your babies skin and nourshing yours in the process. Aveeno has simplifed the wash day process with a bonus ingriedent in their product, called seaweed. The seaweed is filled with vitamins, proteins, and nutrients that will boost your confidence and remove all of the impurites.
3. Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish Shampoo. You’ll thank your five senses once you have discovered this fruit packed shampoo. Filled with all of the makings of healthy drink. This shampoo will take your hair on an exotic ride filled with an extra boost of vitamins and nutrients.
So are you ready for wash day? We hope so. This article is filled with great ideas and information to help you and your friends to make better informed decisions when it comes to your shampoo. Gone are the old days of picking up anything and putting it in your hair. Today, we’re making the best decisions possible when it comes to shampoo day. Why? Because our hair and bodies depend on a informed and educated decision.
We promise, Love your hair and it will love you back! Drop a comment and let us know what you think about this blog, share it with a friend or two. Don't forget to sign up for our newsletter so you dont miss any Hair Gossip or awesome deals!